German (de) translation group / Deutschsprachige Übersetzergruppe

This thread is meant for all those interested in translating Indico to any german dialect. It will necessarily contain some exchanges and discussions in german about language specific topics. But please make an effort to

• add the english translation of the subject line (Betreffzeile) to every post,
  • write on subjects of common interest in english, or think a moment, if using the common i18n category (to be created) would be more appropriate,
  • think about adding an english abstract or summary to your posts, where the contents may be of interest for non-german speakers.

Herzlich Willkommen in der de/D_A_CH-Übersetzergruppe!

Das Bild soll anzeigen, dass wir versuchen, unsere deutschen Übersetzungen länder- und dialektunabhängig zu machen. (Diese Anforderung ist im letzten Indico-Workshop im Zusammenhang mit der portugiesisch-brasilianischen Übersetzung als vielleicht nicht haltbar diskutiert worden.)
Anfänger und Neuankömmlinge sollten zunächst die Wikiseite mit Hinweisen zur I18n auf dem Indico-github lesen.

Hi,

I just got a member of the german translation group.

Just for the record, the main work will be iin relation to what is needed for our own indico instance at
https://indico.frm2.tum.de

Best Björn

Hi,
how should gender specific words be translated?
For example in vc_vidyo.py: You are now the owner of the room '{room.name}'.
Should the translation use the generic masculinum (Sie sind jetzt der Besitzer des Raumes '{room.name}') or “modern” wording (Sie sind jetzt der/die BesitzerIn des Raumes '{room.name}') or should one try to avoid something like this (Sie besitzen nun den Raum '{room.name}')?

I think the last option is much better as it avoids any gender issue without looking bad.

Otherwise i don’t think the generic masculinum is a bad option either when alternatives don’t sound good.

What I certainly do not want is having things like “Studierende”.

I agree with @ThiefMaster. There are several reasons to keep it simple and fluent for all users.

The mixed form “der/die Besitzer/in” is not standardised by any means and leads to ambiguties (“BesitzerIn”, “Besitzer/-in”) which makes it difficult to define a uniform method.There are alternatives (“Besitzer*in”).
German is not only spoken in Germany, where some conventions are more widespread than others. But Indico decided to translate only country-neutral (de instead of de/de, de/at, de/ch, …).
No other language (as far as I know) has been translated in Indico with the pretension of gender-neutrality.

Thus, the order of preference to use

1. other, reworded neutral forms, if they exist (“Sie besitzen”)
  2. else the generic male (“Sie sind Besitzer des Raumes” rather than “der Besitzer”)

is also my choice. Sometimes a direct or word-by-word translation is not the optimum, and slightly different wording sounds more common in german. (See “presenter” -> “Vortragender” -> “Sprecher”.)

Eine Liste “Besitzende von Räumen” wäre in der Tat eine absurde Stilblüte. In dem Zusammenhang frage ich mich übrigens, ob nicht “Verwalter” eine bessere Übersetzung wäre. Oder gibt es inzwischen “owner” und “administrator” in der Raumverwaltung?

Regarding dialect-neutrality, please keep in mind that despite the initial decision of using en, fr, de, etc… I don’t think that this will be the strategy in the long term. There are differences that are hard to address even in English (e.g. “favorite” vs. “favourite”).

Rather than working around inevitable differences, I’d focus on making translations that feel natural to people and target the majority of the use cases. If at some point someone needs an en_US, de_AT or pt_PT translation, we can discuss how to keep things updated cross-dialect and how to utilize other people’s work to make that easy.