[TERMS] What do these terms in Indico mean?

Any clues describing why using “contribution” instead of “presentation”? Or physically what “contribution” is, talks/lightning talks/lecturers, or slides/handouts?

Contributions can be presentations or posters for example. Maybe these are the two only cases. But contributions is a superset of presentations, so the are not equivalent terms.

1 Like

I believe @dirk has explained very well the first point.

OK, that’s just a plugin’s “classification”. In this case, plugins which import stuff into Indico. That “stuff” can be events, contributions, registrants… basically anything. Actual interface:

Yeah, the wording is perhaps not the clearest, but what it means is that the year which is displayed is that of the event’s start date. We should maybe change it to “by event’s starting year” or something like that.

This is used to classify messages which get displayed at the top of every event page. They can be “danger messages” (something is very wrong), “warning messages” (the user should be aware of something), etc… This is the actual interface:

Agreed!

We are talking about this plot (left), I think:

I don’t believe that there are many events extending over two years, and probably it is obvious that a choice has been made whether to count them in one year or in the other or 50/50. But the same text regarding contributions (on the right hand plot) sounds strange. Somebody talking over the New Year, huh? :joy: Already talking over midnight is rather exceptional.

I think the statements can be made more neutral in this form:
“Events are counted in the year, when the event starts.”
But for the contributions, you better check what is really done:
“Contributions are counted in the year, when the containing event starts.” or “Contributions are counted in the year, when the contribution starts.”
You may add “(in case of ambiguity due to a long event)”, because I really think this problem is exceptional.

But it is good to be precise and mention it! You may consider adding an explanation “in the timezone for which the event was declared” or “in the timezone for the current user” (or maybe “in UTC”)?

PS: This page will become real fun, when you start to implement Chinese and Lunar calendars! :wink:

Got it, thanks. In Chinese the “Importer” has different words if it is a person who imports something (匯入者) or (like this) a plugin which imports something (匯入器).

Got it too, thanks!

Let me try to describe : “An event would be categorize with the year of its start date.”
“An event” can be replaced with “A contribution” (though “contribution” is still too ambiguous for me :roll_eyes:)

It sounds a good idea to use indico to plan parties in New Year or Chinese New Year :smile:

1 Like

Yes, the description is correct, albeit not optimal in English. I suppose it is your translation back from Chinese to English.

Yes, I guess the meaning of “contribute/contribution” is also ambiguous in Chinese. Do not think about it as a “tribute” or “tax” that is given to some higher authority, but in the sense of “participation”. You should use a word which can describe “oral presentations” (talks) and “displayed poster” to a conference. (By the way, both usually have associated abstracts and proceedings, which are part of the contribution, not another contribution in the sense of Indico.) Admittedly the term is very much related to the classical organisation and course of a scientific conference. Maybe you can find a good translation in the analogy of a scene play, cabaret or circus: There may be songs, poetry, slapstick, acrobatics and animals. All those would be considered “contributions”, if the circus were organised with Indico.

Of course :slight_smile: So feel free to use a better string for that.

Thanks. From your description a better word might be “content” IMO. “Contribution” (at least in Chinese") is more close to “dedication”. Oral presentation, display poster, slides, poetry, songs, … in a session (and lecture, meeting, conference) are all of certain types of content.

I’m not sure how that sounds in Chinese, but in English it doesn’t make much sense. Contributions can have their content (e.g. a description, attached slides…) but they’re not synonymous with “content”. If there is no close relative to “contribution” which translates well, maybe you should instead find something which resembles “talk” or “presentation”? That’s at least more semantically correct.

OK, thanks. IMO they are all contents of the session, but in certain scenarios it should be able to distinguish which type of contribution/content and change the translation. I’ll translate it first and see how to fix them.

Hello @fweng322, you may want to contribute to Translatable strings that need context with your experience.

Ah, okay. Happy to, but currently I’m busy on many things. I’ll take a look at it.

The main problem I met when translating Indico is actually not context (same source string but different meanings), but that there are terms which means very differently from normal use (e.g. “contribution”). I think it would be a good idea to give context (i.e., comments) to these source strings so that translators can understand easier.

1 Like

Yes, I also like the idea to use context (in addition) as a sort of shortcut for translators, which may avoid to understand the context from the source code.

Well, actually in gettext msgctxt (c can stand for either context or comments) is frequently used this way. Another typical example use is to explain the placeholder. For example:

msgid “%D, %M %j, %Y”
msgctxt “e.g. Mon, Aug. 24, 2020”
msgstr “”

Yes.
But I think this remark brings us to another topic, which is the localisation. I see strings to be translated like “August” and “Monday” in transifex. This should certainly be managed by i10n, as date and number display are not a translation per se, and (some) code already exists in standard python libraries.

import locale
from datetime import datetime
d=datetime(2020,1,25,13,15)
[(locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, i), d.strftime("%c %x")) for i in 
 ["en_US", "en_GB", "de_DE", "de_AT", "zh_CN", "zh_HK", "ja_JP", "ar_DZ", "ar_SY", "ar_SA"]]

yields

[
 ('en_US', 'Sat 25 Jan 2020 01:15:00 PM  01/25/2020'), 
 ('en_GB', 'Sat 25 Jan 2020 13:15:00  25/01/20'), 
 ('de_DE', 'Sa 25 Jan 2020 13:15:00  25.01.2020'), 
 ('de_AT', 'Sa 25 Jän 2020 13:15:00  2020-01-25'), 
 ('zh_CN', '2020年01月25日 星期六 13时15分00秒 2020年01月25日'), 
 ('zh_HK', '2020年01月25日 星期六 13:15:00 2020年01月25日 星期六'), 
 ('ja_JP', '2020年01月25日 13時15分00秒 2020年01月25日'), 
 ('ar_DZ', '25 جانفي, 2020  01:15:00 م 25 جانفي, 2020'), 
 ('ar_SY', '25 كانون الثاني, 2020  01:15:00 م 25 كانون الثاني, 2020'), 
 ('ar_SA', 'السبت 25 يناير 2020  13:15:00 السبت 25 يناير 2020')]
] 

(I think the LTR conversion is not always done well.) So there should be no need to translate strings like "%Y/%M/%D".

And ordinals (like 1st, 2nd) also fall in this category of “translation”. But I did not see any standard code for those yet. However I believe there are (or at least were) used in Indico.

Where? I couldn’t find either of these two strings in the code as translatable strings.

:slightly_smiling_face: My hint was not very precise (as it was also unprecise in my memory), and the place is well hidden: The months can be found in a plugin, in javascript and in short forms.

for (i=0; i<12; i++) {
  let date = new Date(2020, i, 1)
  console.log(date.toLocaleString('en-GB', {month: 'short'})); 
}

might be used for a better alternative.

The same file contains explicit (translated!) coding of “st”, “nd”, “rd” and “th”. :scream:

Yeah… so that particular plugin is awfully legacy. It’s the one plugin I’d really like to discontinue and move to the attic.

I don’t think anyone except CERN is using this plugin, and based on a grep on our logfiles of the current year its usage is minimal. So I think there’s a very good chance that this plugin will go away with Indico 3.0

Then I suggest that you lock the translations (like for chat.js and chat.py) in transifex. Nobody should loose any more time with it (unless the plans change with Indico 3.0).

There are only 16 strings untranslated in that file. That should be fine for now.

Good idea. Just did that.

Date and number may have different “translations” (or say msgstr) in different locales. The example I gave is used in applications and the context would mark that translators can change the format according their usage of date format.

Honestly (the source code of) Indico is quite unfriendly at this point; not only in the html/js but also somewhere in the main programs. IIRC I have sent a pull request to Indico mentioning all those d-m-y or m-d-y format usage…

@fweng322, it may have been stated before, but there is legacy code lying around, from the time before i18n-awareness of the developers of Indico.
It is not trivial to write i18n-able code, but I think we are coming much closer to it. It needs patience or motivated contributions (PR) though …