It is really a nightmare for (non-English/non-Latin) translators

The messages like these in

indico/web/client/js/legacy/libs/timetable/Base.js:
Line 777-828

indico/web/client/js/legacy/libs/timetable/Management.js:
Line 402-595
Line 729-758

When a sentence is divided into many parts and add arguments between them, it would make translating almost impossible, at least for Chinese.

I guess it’s because Javascript does not provide a good i18n framework?

1 Like

These are VERY legacy parts of indico that will eventually be rewritten.

I fully agree that this is a huge mess right now, so you might even want to consider not translating them at all if it’s not possible to translate them properly the way it’s done right now… As far as I can see this is only for the “reschedule” dialog, which is only in the management area and probably not even used that often.

Yeah, I left them untranslated for now.

The whole project is still not friendly to countries other than America/Europe. Date format is another example: I haven’t found a way to change the display format of all the date. I hope that my reports and feedback can make Indico really international. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes, thank you for your feedback. These “very old legacy parts” are a heads-up for all translaters, who want to save time by avoiding double work.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but another thing comes into my mind regarding your area. You are translating to traditional Chinese (according to what you wrote earlier, I think, and in agreement with your geographical location).
This is (to 50%?) different from modern (“simplified”) Chinese, for which we also have some translation work started. There is a 1:1 correspondence between traditional and simplified characters. Is it possible to “translate” from one to the other variant automatically, by just replacing the simplified characters? That could save quite some time, if you could collaborate among Chinese translators. Or are there also semantic differences, which make both variants incompatible?

Unfortunately, no. Simplified Chinese (zh_CN, zh_SG) and Traditional Chinese (zh_TW, zh_HK) are not 1-1 correspondence even to the character level.

In character level several TC characters map to the same SC word, so reverse mapping is impossible. An example is ‘干’(concern, interfere), ‘乾’ (dry) and ‘幹’ (do, act, or fuck (v.)) all map to ‘干’ in Simplified Chinese therefore some documents which directly replace SC characters to TC would become jokes (like ‘something is dry’ become ‘something is fuck’).

In word level our wordings are quite different with each other, especially those which were invented in recent years. Schedule would be translated to ‘排程’ in TC and ‘进程’ in SC.

Today some (not most) people in Taiwan can understand the wordings from China but when translating we would still use Taiwanese terms/nouns.

Thank you for the quick answer and illustrative examples. Amazing chinese multiplicity! 乾杯

Will you attend the Indico Workshop 2020?

Well, seems to be possible, but I will need travel cost reimbursement because it’s quite far and expensive flying from Taiwan to, uh, CERN.

1 Like

Consider attending remotely, which, by the course of time, may become the way of choice for everybody in the meantime.