Import event from Indico 2.3 in 3.2

Is there an equivalent for indico 3.2?

I just tried to transfer an event from indico 2.3.4 to indico 3.2 on a different server.
I get an error, the meat of which seems to be:

(indico) [indico@localhost ~]$ indico event import /tmp/2277.ind 
Importing event...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/indico/.venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/yaml/constructor.py", line 551, in find_python_name
    __import__(module_name)
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'indico.modules.events.logs'

You cannot import events from from 2.x in 3.x. Even within a major version (3.1 and 3.2) it likely fails (that’s why --force is needed when importing an event that was exported on a different version).

The way to go here is to migrate the 2.3.4 instance (or a copy of it) to 3.2, and then export the event.

Thanks. I did the migration, but some people didn’t follow instructions and created a couple extra events on the old instance after the migration. I was hoping I’d be able to just migrate those few events.

Easy solution: Take a DB dump (and copy of the file storage), run a VM (or container) where you import it, then install 3.2 in there, and run indico db upgrade to migrate the database. Then you can export the events and import them in your new instance.

1 Like

Dear ThiefMaster,

is there a way to migrate only some events zu a new instance instead of the complete database? We’re trying to setup a new server and only want to migrate some events used as templates for recurring events.

Best Wishes for Austria
Stefan Buerger

The previous answer in here still applies:

• Update the old instance to the same version (ideally latest) as the target instance
  • Export the events you want to keep
  • Import those events on the new instances (note: they’ll have new IDs)

Is there anywhere a brief tutorial of migrating only some choosen events?
How to export und import in this case?

Have a look at indico event export --help and indico event import --help - the tools are quite easy to use.

1 Like