German (de) translation group / Deutschsprachige Übersetzergruppe

Hi,

Assuming @dirk is fine with it, I can approve your request directly - always good to have new members in while they are maintaining an instance in parallel. You should be able to check the project now.

Thanks.

1 Like

Yes, thank you @plourenco, and sorry @rtema for not reacting faster.
There are 49 translators now in the de_DE group, more than in any other language. It would be nice to have some feedback, why the outcome is so scarce. Are instructions missing or too restrictive. (Some conventions are needed to get an efficient and homogenous result.)
Answers will be very welcome, here or more privately on Sign in to CERN (project-indico-i18n-de@cern.ch).

I took the opportunity to clean up the translators from the de (“German”, country unspecified) group, which had become obsolete for a while.

1 Like

I just saw “Inhalt Begutacher/innen” in the translation (for “Content reviewers”). Can we agree that this does not look good (and is a bit bulky as well) and stick with the “generic masculinum” (even if some people don’t like it either)?

2 Likes

+1

and probably even use something which is correct german, eg.
Inhaltsgutachter or Sachgutachter or Begutachter(Inhalt)

Oder einfach “Gutachter”?
Das benutzt man bei (internationalen) Konferenzen wohl selten, aber bei ausschließlich deutschen (akademischen) Vorgängen durchaus.

Das Problem dabei ist, dass es ja “Content Reviewer” und “Layout Reviewer” gibt - die beiden müssen unterscheidbar bleiben…

1 Like

Yes, generic masculinum seems to be the best and most efficient solution for now.
When the situation will be clearer in some years from now, it would be reasonable to change to -er*innen, -er/innen, -erInnen, -er/-innen or whatever will be the stable, accepted and consensual way, for all Sprecher, Teilnehmer, Sitzungsleiter, Vorsitzende etc. at once, rather than producing a mix of personal preferences, which would make the translation look unfinished in any way.

Ja, das war mir entgangen. “Gutachter (Inhalt)” und entsprechend “Gutachter (Layout)” (oder “Gutachter (Gestaltung)”) halte ich für die beste Lösung, weil “Inhaltsgutachter” und “Gestaltungsgutachter” doch etwas umständlich zu erfassen sind.
Je nach Vorkommen kann aber auch “Gutachten zu : (1) Inhalt – (2) Gestaltung” klarer sein (in den Tabs?). ­­

2 Likes

Hört sich gut an! :+1:

Hi everyone,

I’m a researcher at TU Dresden and recently became aware of a strange translation in our event tool which is based on indico. The english “Ms” is translated as “Fräulein” which is outdated and does not comply with the guidelines for gender-inclusive communication (at least at my university). I spotted the translation in file indico/translations/de_DE/LC_MESSAGES/messages.po at line 16897 and would propose to substitute it with “Frau”. But since I’m not quite sure, what the common workflow in the indico github project is regarding such minor changes I wanted to ask whether I should make a pull request or just bring the issue up here?

Thanks
René

Translation issues need to be fixed on Transifex, a GitHub PR would not help there at all.

Since it’s a super quick and very easy fix, I just updated it there and we’ll most likely include the fix in the next release.

Actually, after checking again this is not as simple as it seems.

We have Ms and Mrs. Translating both with the same word “Frau” is not great of course because then you don’t know what you get in other languages. One thing I could imagine is putting “Frau (Ms)” and “Frau (Mrs)”, but this would only be fine for the dropdown and not for places where we merely show the title. So again not something that can be changed only on the i18n side w/o code changes (we’d need to specify context that’s only used when rendering the dropdown…)

If someone has a good idea, please let me know! For now I’m keeping the fix knowing that it will show “Frau” twice in the list with no good way to distinguish them…

Fun fact: Even the biggest german airline Lufthansa has (or had) this problem: https://twitter.com/ZefiroPublic/status/870663914350149632

Thanks very much for the quick reply and for taking it into your hands, I appreciate it!

After i18n and l10n, we will have to program g7g-aware. :slight_smile:
Well, it should probably be considered l10n in the larger sense.

Maybe “Frau” / “Frau (Frl.)” would make do. But again, that does not help outside a menu or checkbox list. In any case, the (lack of) bijectivity remains a problem, unless all languages will be set up without the possibility to distinguish married and unmarried women. That may be a decision for modernity to make in Indico governance?
Or “Frau” / “Frau*” with a possible footnote that the *-form can be used to reflect the now-unused Fräulein when displayed in other languages? (Conditionally displayed, if a *-form appears on a page?)

Here is a related fun list: Male equivalents of Miss
Master [en], Junker [de], damoiseau [fr], señorito [es]. Feel free to complete!

Schnelle Umfrage zur Tagesordnung

(Only native speakers, for obvious reasons, sorry!)

Wir haben derzeit eine fast (ca. 5:4 Teile) ausgeglichene Übersetzung der äquivalenten Bezeichnungen agenda und timetable in der deutschen Version mit “Zeitplan” und “Tagesordnung”. Das hat hier kürzlich zu Verwirrung geführt. Bevor ich jetzt in wildem Aktivismus das eine oder andere plattbügle, möchte ich fragen: Gibt es hier Vorzüge für eine der beiden Varianten?
Oder wird das von der Mehrheit gar nicht als Problem angesehen? (Immerhin kommt englisches Indico auch ganz gut mit der Doppeldeutigkeit aus.)

1 Like

Until last week the German translation is “Ready to use”! Saying to 100% translated. In the last few weeks I worn down the last 5% of the translation.

1 Like

I just deployed this to all the Indico instances we manage, including sandbox.getindico.io - so if any of you want to test it, give it a try!

1 Like

Cool! Thank you @ThiefMaster.

Wenn eine Entscheidung her müsste @dirk , würde ich mich für “Tagesordnung” aussprechen.