German (de) translation group / Deutschsprachige Übersetzergruppe

Hello Damian,
Thanks for the heads-up. Are you in contact with Markus and Dennis?
Danke für die Ankündigung. Stehst Du in Verbindung mit Markus und Dennis?

Hi Dirk,

actually I don’t know :wink: Are they from Münster University too? Markus Blank-Burian is a member of our team here at the IT division, but he is not directly involved in Indico but in out Openstack project and is in contact with people from CERN. I myself have some CERN background too. I worked in WA98 and ALICE quite some time ago.

Good day everyone,

I am in the middle of implementing Indico at our institute in order to get rid off a vast number of spreadsheets that formed our booking system up till now.
I have joined the team on the transifex website and have applied for the german language group. Does anybody know if I one has to get an “acceptance mail” of some sort?

And while I am here: Do I actually need to be part of the group to pull the de_DE translation or is a general account with transifex enough?

With kind regards from Hannover!

Jan

Hello @Jan_Hoppe,
As far as I know, you do not need to be a member of a translation team to download the current state of a translation.
I approved your requests to join de_DE for both your accounts jan.hoppe and jasho777. It would be nice, if you could subscribe to the CERN eGroup (another word for mailing list) project-indico-i18n-de, https://e-groups.cern.ch/e-groups/Egroup.do?egroupId=10094291. You may need to create a CERN lighweight account for that.

Hi!

I come with a similar request like Jan - we are exploring indico for use in our NGO, but would need a German version. We are happy to contribute to the translation. For now, it would be great to get access to the current state of the German language files to test them in our demo instance, and I tried to register on transifex but somehow do not seem to get anywhere with this. Is there a confirmation by admin needed?

Thanks already for your help!
Cheers,
Jutta

Hello Jutta,

Yes, you are right. The de translations are a long-standing only-second priority problem. And certainly more work could be done. I am glad to see that you both propose it.

As I answered to @Jan_Hoppe, you do not need any specific permissions to extract the de_DE contents from Transifex. (I have no further feedback from him though. His two accounts on Transifex have been aded to the de_DE project.) The recent post on Mongolian translation contains a recipe for a test installation. Together with the Indico installation manual you should succeed to install your own instance.
Assuming that your pseudo on Transifex is “Any One” (Can you change that?), I approved your request to join the de_DE project.
Would you mind to subscribe to the mailing list mentioned above to discuss de-specific details? There are several sites in Germany which already use one version of german translation, which has unfortunately diverged in the past. I expect that this can be settled soon, and it should not prevent you from testing the existing in practice.

I hope to hear from you soon.
Dirk

Thanks for the quick reaction! Yes, sorry, as I did not trust the platform yet I used rather cryptic information :slight_smile:
Thanks for the hint - I will try to integrate the files and we will get back to you. Currently fighting two wars against docker and load balancing at the same time for the installation, so language might have to wait a bit …

Here’s a wheel containing the latest de_DE translation: indico-2.3.5.dev0+202104141118.c7dc2ddc27-py2-none-any.whl (50.9 MB)

BTW, some small issues I noticed in the translation within the first few moments of trying it out:

• “Raum Reservierung” - that needs a dash or the space removed; right now it looks really weird and I don’t think it’s correct.
  • some places use formal language (“Sie”/“Ihnen”), other places use informal (“Du”) - personally I prefer the latter but I understand that in some contexts formal is probably preferred. In any case, it should be consistent
  • maybe something missing in the glossary? “Es existiert noch kein Anmeldeformular für die Teilnehmer. Teilnehmer werden nun durch ein Registrierungsformular verwaltet.” - two different terms for the registration form used in the same box.
2 Likes

Thanks, @ThiefMaster!

Registration is glossarised for de_DE (Anmeldung).

I corrected “Raumreservierung” in Transifex. Should I also correct incoherent spelling of “Room Booking” and “Room booking” (capital B) on github?

We had the discussion Sie/Du on the mailing list, and the consensus was to prefer an indirect form (Drücken Sie / drücke hier → Hier drücken ; Sie können das nicht löschen → Kann nicht gelöscht werden.) and, if not avoidable, to use the polite form, which happens to be grammatically similar style (“Bitte bestätigen” / “Bitte bestätigen Sie”).

Some translations certainly need polishing. I just stumbled over “Reservierung hat keine gültigen Vorkommen”. I am not even sure what it means in the original context.
And, caveat to all users/testers, some translations can unfortunately be plain wrong. I just corrected “Der Raum wurde vom Event entfernt.” / “The room has been attached to the event.” (Multiple problems here.)

Hm, I always assumed this is titlecased and thus intended.

Caps or nocaps, I have no preference. But do you agree that it should be homogeneous here?

Yeah I think that makes sense… I’d go for the lowercase b there.

PR 4871

Hi everyone,

We recently made some refactoring changes to the English words (as suggested by @dirk in Homogenise msgid strings to AE · Issue #4639 · indico/indico · GitHub) which resulted in a small number of entries to translate. Since we’re very close to release Indico version 3.0, we’ve decided to ask most of the translation teams if they could update those entries.

I could see the German language still had some leftover strings from previous updates. Moreover that there recently has been interest shared by some members (Dirk and Andrii) in pushing an updated version for 3.0.

For that reason, I decided to create this post in order to invite all members interested in participating and contributing to close the existing strings and deliver an updated version for the release.

Thank you for your valuable contributions!
Pedro.

Where could I get the latest de_DE translation for Indico 3.0? I subscribed to transifex and to project-indico-i18n-de.

Hello @Peter,
You should be able to download the translations from https://www.transifex.com/indico/indico/language/de_DE/ or through the CLI.
At some time, @ThiefMaster also prepared automatically extracted sets of up to date translation files, but I don’t know/remember, if this is automatic yet.

I don’t remember setting up such a thing. I think we were maybe just talking about it and/or I built an Indico package for someone containing the latest version?

Hi @dirk, if I am not logged in at transifex I get a 404 page not found, if I am logged in, I get redirected to Indico localization, where German is listed, but I cannot download it. Thank you for your help!

Hello @Peter, please try again now. I approved your Transifex group-member (de-DE) request only recently, because that system still does not send me any email notifications (tested with several accounts/domains). And I do not have insight into all restriction and permission levels depending on the membership level. (Can editors extract PO files, or only admins?)

Let’s continue discussion in the email list (where I also approved your join request). We will find a solution.

Dear @dirk, I can access it now, thanks!

1 Like