Support CentOS 8 / Alma Linux

Hi,

will the developers official support centos 8 or alman linux for the future (+apache also) ? My company will use both as default linux server os. Before i upgrade to 3.X i need to verify it because else i will ask for a debian system for the upgrade.

Best regards

I think asking for a debian system will be easier for you. Especially since CentOS 8 (unless you mean centos stream 8) is already EOL…

sry i mean centos stream 8

Last time I checked there were no official Postgres packages, so providing docs for CS8 would have required even more branching in the docs. However, I think any experienced Linux admin should not have any difficulties adapting our CentOS7 setup guide to a newer system.

yeah but what about next year ? If you don´t focus / give support for redhat based os in the future i will switch to debian. i have enough experince but don´t have time to fix (packages) problems every time and focus on indico as my main project.

At CERN we use RPM-based systems; currently that’s CentOS 7 (since the EOL is only in 2024), not sure where we will go from there - might be CS9 or CS10, we’ll have to see.

Considering that RHEL/C/CS 9 is probably going to be released soon, I think it doesn’t make much sense for us to add something for version 8 - but I think officially supporting version 9 should be very reasonable.

That said, if you install/upgrade now, go for Debian, especially if your organization supports both systems anyway.

Hello! It is now 2024 and Centos 7 will be EOL’d this year. We’re planning on setting up an indico server at the University of Melbourne. Our Research Computing Team has moved completely to RHEL 9. We’re looking to set up an indico service at the University of Melbourne and would like to use Rocky Linux 9 for it’s price, community support and compatibility with RHEL 9.

Will indico work out of the box on RHEL 9/Rocky Linux 9? If not, is it possible to get help with the tweaks needed to get it up and running?

Thank you,

Martin Sevior

We will update the docs for the 3.3 release and officially support RHEL9/Alma9/Rocky9 (assuming one guide can cover them all, our default distribution at CERN is Alma9) and the latest Debian/Ubuntu.

In any case, Indico is fully compatible with Alma9 already. Someone with proper linux skills should have no problem adapting our installation guide for any distribution that’s out there. Just see this comment for a change needed in the SELinux policy file - that’s the only not so straightforward change.

Thank you very much!