On our conference, I’ve noticed a strange behaviour of the author list on a few contributions.
On some contributions, the author list was alphabetically sorted despite the fact that the abstract was submitted with a specific order imposed by the submitter.
When I checked the original abstract, I realized the author lists were manually sorted when submitted but somehow became alphabetically sorted in the contribution.
To fix the ordering I have to disable alphabetical ordering so that I can reorder the authors as the submitter intended.
I am trying to figure out what causes this. So far I have found a few contributions that showed this effect (author lists now fixed):
I thought that the problem may be caused by the “β” character that is used by all of these authors in the title (and is indeed how I found 3 out of 4 of the examples above). However, I have found that there are many other authors who have used the β character but their contributions show a correct author list ordering, so I haven’t yet got a good diagnosis of why it is happening.
Is there a method to search/filter for contributions that have alphabetically ordered author lists?
I think I found the problem here which stems from the fact that we don’t take the right ordering into account when rendering authors defined in a Contribution. I have prepared a fix for it so now we have to wait until it gets merged.
I am also trying to reproduce it to try to find the cause. If I can have some idea of how widespread it is in our database it might help - but we have around 600 poster abstracts and I wouldn’t want to look through all of them manually (!) I was only made aware of this when one of the authors contacted us.
Thanks for your troubleshooting and replies. Sorry for the delayed reply - our event took place last week!
We were using 2.2 when I noticed this error, but the contributions would have been created when we were still on 2.1.8 (or the versions previous to that). The earliest contribution of the ones I linked to was created on 15 May 2019.
The abstracts did not have an alphabetically sorted list of authors. I can also see from the log of email confirmation sent to the submitter/authors that the authors’ list was not sorted alphabetically in the initial submission/acceptance. None of the abstracts I linked to have had their judgements reset and re-accepted (I am the only person executing judgements since the chair declined to use the online interface…), so I am still confused about how this came about.