Rejected and deleted abstracts continues to show up in book of abstracts

Hi,

I think I found a weird bug. I have taken the steps to recreate it here below:

I made some test abstracts:

I accepted #13 and put it into tracks, etc:

It shows up in the book of abstracts:

So far so good, but…

I reset judgement and reject this abstract

But it is still in the book of abstracts. I tried changing some of the settings (enable and disable ID, make “Speakers” the corresponding author, etc). The page moved around but the rejected abstract is still there.

I delete abstract #13

Again, I customized the book of abstracts to be sure it was re-generated. Still, the deleted abstract is there.

I am aware that there is ongoing work to improve the book of abstracts and make it much more customizable (https://github.com/indico/indico/issues/3039) for indico 2.2. It would be good to know if I shouldn’t worry about this (i.e. if 2.2 will be ready soon) or if I should just avoid generating a book of abstracts until we are sure about accepting everything.

The reason I ask about this is that since payment and abstract submission is separated on our use case, we worry that there could be abstracts that we accept for, say, a poster but fail to make payment on time, in which case we would assume that they will not attend and we would removed them from the book of abstracts. We can, of course, export the list of accepted and paid-up abstracts in other formats and work off that, but it would have been handy to have a rough book of abstracts that behaved as expected!

Hey,

it is not a bug per se, it is just how it works. Whenever you accept an abstract, Indico creates a corresponding Contribution with some details derived from the abstract. The Book of Abstracts is generated based on the contributions, not the abstracts. So if you want to update the BoA you need to delete a particular contribution corresponding to the abstract. Apart from that, I would like to mention that Resetting judgment doesn’t automatically delete the Contribution that had been created after a reviewer accepted an abstract.

I hope that helps!

Regards,
Michal

1 Like

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the clarification. I don’t think I understood the difference between Contributions and Abstracts until this very moment…!

I also have now realized that deleting a contribution doesn’t revert the decision on the abstract. As far as I can see, if a contribution is deleted, there is no easy way to create a contribution using that abstract without resetting the judgement and then accepting it again, right?

Is there an easy way to see whether there are any accepted abstracts that do not have an associated contribution?

Best,
Ying

Hey Ying,

I also have now realized that deleting a contribution doesn’t revert the decision on the abstract. As far as I can see, if a contribution is deleted, there is no easy way to create a contribution using that abstract without resetting the judgement and then accepting it again, right?

Right, that is how it works.

Is there an easy way to see whether there are any accepted abstracts that do not have an associated contribution?

On the page with a list of all abstracts you can find a little arrow on the right side of each row in the table (you can see that on the attached image). If there is an arrow then it means that this abstract has an associated contribution.

Regards,
Michal

1 Like