Preventing Double Bookings in Indico

Hello,

I’m in need of some guidance regarding an issue we’re facing with our Indico booking system. Some of our users encountered a situation where our Indico system allowed two overlapping bookings for the same resource. The first booking was made several months in advance, and then a subsequent booking was made for overlapping dates. Both bookings were validated in the system, leading to a scheduling conflict.

I am seeking some insights or solutions to address this issue. In particular, I would appreciate if anybody could explain what might be causing Indico to permit overlapping bookings for the same resource and if there are specific settings, or practices, that I can implement to prevent such overlaps in the future.

Any suggestion is welcome. Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

1 Like

Are both accepted bookings, or maybe prebookings (pending confirmation and thus can conflict until one is confirmed which rejects the others)? A screenshot would be ideal if both bookings are still there. If not, screenshots of the booking details page with the history visible would be OK as well.

Because what you described should not be possible… and with just a textrual description this is pretty much impossible to look into (at least w/o wasting a huge amount of time trying to reproduce a bug that none of our own users - who are pretty good at spotting bugs - have encountered so far and without the slightest idea of how it’s triggered)

Good morning, ThiefMaster and thanks for your swift reply.

Due to privacy reasons, I cannot share screenshots of the booking for the same resource, which we will call Room XYZ. Therefore we are talking about room booking. The user reports the following:

“Unit1 did a booking in January 2023 for several rooms for its coming Priorities meeting to be held from 18 to 22 March 2024.I validated the booking for Room XYZ and Indico shows the Unit1 booking from 18 to 22 March 2024” [screenshot snipped showing the recurring booking]

“Then, despite this validated booking, another booking was done by Unit2 in September 2023 an I validated it also (not remembering or knowing it was already booked). You can see below the booking for ENV from 21 to 22 March 2024 on the same room.” [screenshot snipped showing the recurring booking from 21 to 22 March 2024 overlapping the previous one]

The user adds:

“In the same time, other Unit1 bookings partially disappeared.
You can see below, room Room XYZ booked by Unit1 from 19 to 22 but appearing only on 19 and 20 March 2024 slots. The same thing happened for other rooms” [snipped screenshot showing only 19 and 20 March 2024 as booked, despite the recurring booking shows from 19 to 22 March]

Please let me know what I shall check or if you need additional information in connection to the above. As per the above, we are talking about accepted bookings and not pre-bookings.

The version of Indico that we are using is Indico 3.2.8.