Presenters who "did not register yet"

I am an organizer of an indico event. In the Management area, under “Contributions”, column “Presenters”, the Name Surname of the presenter is given. To the left there is a small person silhouette, either in dark grey (-> This speaker registered for the event) or light grey (-> This speaker did not register yet).

From the list of registrants (Management area, under “Registration”, then “List of registration form”) I see that the “Presenters” with a light-grey silhouette are present.

So, “This speaker did not register yet” does not seem to refer to the event registration.

It doesn’t seem to mean that the speaker has not registered to indico either, because if I go to “Participants Roles”, the speakers with the light-grey silhouette don’t appear to have the “No indico account” warning.

Yes, this icon in the contribution list refers to being registered in the event. Did they use the same email address though? We try to match using either email address or Indico user.

As a matter of fact, at least some (= I didn’t check for all of them) of the users with this problem must have registered to indico with a different email than the one used for registering to the event. In fact if, from within the List of Registrations, I click on “Register” new Indico user, and I search by email, no match is found.

The problem is however that if I simply search by family name, no match is found either. The problem here is twofold:

• under “Participant Roles”, these users do not have a warning sign of the kind “No account”, that would indeed signal the absence of an indico account;

• I asked explicitly to one of these registrants if the email address associated with their indico account is the one with which they registered, and the answer was yes.

In short, for some users the email with which they registered to the event, which is the same email associated with their indico account, is not shown in the list “Participant Roles”, although they are registered (to both the event and to indico) with that email. How can I identify the underlying problem?

Without seeing the data myself I can of course only take guesses and explain you the logic from the code…

under “Participant Roles”, these users do not have a warning sign of the kind “No account”, that would indeed signal the absence of an indico account;

Indeed, so they have an Indico account.

I asked explicitly to one of these registrants if the email address associated with their indico account is the one with which they registered, and the answer was yes.

Are you an admin on the Indico instance so you can check yourself? I tend to do not trust users on such things :wink:

for some users the email with which they registered to the event, which is the same email associated with their indico account, is not shown in the list “Participant Roles”, although they are registered (to both the event and to indico) with that email.

Note that “Participant Roles” does NOT show people who are only registered for the event w/o having some other role (e.g. speaker) - this is because pure attendees are generally not relevant for the organizers (of course they are important for an event, but not so much when it comes to managing your speakers etc)

Are you an admin on the Indico instance so you can check yourself? I tend to do not trust users on such things :wink:

Yes I’m one of the event admins. What should I check then?

Note that “Participant Roles” does NOT show people who are only registered for the event w/o having some other role (e.g. speaker)

The problem in the “Participant Roles” listing is that some names with “author” and “speaker” roles (and registered to indico as well as to the event) appear without an associated email. Why is it so?

I mean Indico admin, not event manager/“admin” - being an Indico admin lets you search users by email and view their profile, including which email addresses they have on their account.

The problem in the “Participant Roles” listing is that some names with “author” and “speaker” roles (and registered to indico as well as to the event) appear without an associated email. Why is it so?

Maybe they have been manually added? You can add speakers w/o an email (because you might have a speaker whose name you want to show but for whom you do not have an email address) but of course those cannot be linked to anything else

I am not an Indico admin, as far as I know. Of course I’d be happy to be able to search users by email, to debug this issue.

Maybe they have been manually added?

To be more precise: The problem in the “Participant Roles” listing is that some names with “author” and “speaker” roles (and registered to indico as well as to the event, i.e. not added manually) appear without an associated email.

So you have this:

• The speaker is just a name, because without an email it also cannot be tied to a Indico user.
  • The same person might have registered for the event, with an email, since this is required for any registration.

I guess when adding the speaker they’ve been added without an email address…

If you’re at CERN, or available on zoom, I can show you the problem directly. The participants concerned:
• have registered to the event with their email;
• this email is associated with a regular Indico account
and yet in “Participant Roles” they are shown without an email associated, as if they had been added manually, which they aren’t.

Wait, is this about an event on the CERN instance? If yes, please msg me on Mattermost (@amonnich) and send me the event link.

1 Like

Yes, that happens quite often. Check the authors on the contribution, if they have the correct emails asossiated (and as an event admin you should be able to edit the user entries on a contribution/abstract).