Per-Event Rooms Configuration

Hi folks

I’m having a little trouble understanding the room bookings admin and was hoping someone could help out. The type of events we’ll have are not all centered around one physical location. We will be at different locations, each having their own rooms, and these rooms are only bookable during the conference event.

I read in RTD that there is a difference between global room booking and per-event room booking, however I’ve not found a way to associate a room with an event. I did find a way to associate a room booking with an event.

Ideally, I’d like global room booking to be disabled, associate rooms with conferences so these are the only ones shown in the booking view, and have a link in the event menu where people can book rooms that are specific to the event.

Am I missing a setting, or is the room booking feature currently only meant to work with one physical location?

There’s no concept of defining event rooms. The room booking module is useful if you have e.g. a campus where you want to let people book rooms.

The “event room booking” is just an integration where you can quickly book such a room at the dates (and linked to) your event.

If you don’t use the room booking system, you can still enter venue/room names manually in your event - there’s no booking process involved.

associate rooms with conferences so these are the only ones shown in the booking view, and have a link in the event menu where people can book rooms that are specific to the event.

I’m not sure I understand. In indico it’s the conference/meeting organizer who books a room. So what’s the point of someone assigning rooms to a conference and then still requiring someone (not sure who) to book them?

Thank you, that helps for understanding. The use case I’m trying to cover:

At the conference we of course have a fixed set of sessions that the organizers will schedule appropriately. However, we may also have a breakout room or two that conference participants can reserve time in ad-hoc, for a BoF type session.

Ah, makes sense. That’s not something covered by Indico’s room features unfortunately.

I presume adding this feature would be a major refactor? If so I’ll hold off on filing an enhancement request since it is unlikely to be a priority soon, and if we need this bad we can still consider contributing it later.

Yes, I don’t see this happen any time soon. It’s be a completely new major feature, and one where you are the first (and so far only) user that’s interested in it…

1 Like