LaTeXRuntimeException: LaTeX compilation failed

Hi, I am suffering from a LaTeXRuntimeException compiling a litle tex test file with the following content:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
alsjdflasjdflkasjdf
 +VORNAME+
\end{document}

According to the indico installation manual of latex (https://docs.getindico.io/en/latest/installation/latex/), I properly installed texLive. In /home/vagrant/indico/indico/indico.conf I inserted the line:

XELATEX_PATH = ‘/opt/texlive/bin/x86-64-linux/xelatex’

If I now manually run

/opt/texlive/bin/x86_64-linux/xelatex -no-shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory /home/vagrant/data/tmp/indico-texgen-jg_AEr /home/vagrant/data/tmp/indico-texgen-jg_AEr/3_tiny.tpl.tex

I get:

This is XeTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-0.999991 (TeX Live 2019) (preloaded format=xelatex)
entering extended mode
(/home/vagrant/data/tmp/indico-texgen-jg_AEr/3_tiny.tpl.tex
LaTeX2e <2018-12-01>
(/opt/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2018/09/03 v1.4i Standard LaTeX document class
(/opt/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
No file 3_tiny.tpl.aux.
[1] (/home/vagrant/data/tmp/indico-texgen-jg_AEr/3_tiny.tpl.aux) )
Output written on /home/vagrant/data/tmp/indico-texgen-jg_AEr/3_tiny.tpl.pdf (1
 page).
Transcript written on /home/vagrant/data/tmp/indico-texgen-jg_AEr/3_tiny.tpl.lo
g.

So texLive seems to be installed properly.

Does anybody have an idea, how to solve this issue ?

Best regards,
Philipp

Indico does not support compiling full standalone LaTeX documents. So if you use \documentclass etc., then it most likely won’t work (as you encountered).

The idea of the LaTeX support in Indico is to let people use it to write math and similar things among regular text…

Okay I see,

but XeTeX is compiling my standalone LaTeX document, if I execute it directly. And since Indico also uses XeTeX, I expect it to work.

When Indico builds a pdf from latex data it’s wrapped in a bigger document (that contains all the document setup, styling, etc.). You can check the .tex file in the temporary directory yourself to see the LaTeX code Indico generated before calling xetex.

Thank you so far ThiefMaster.
Perhaps I will ask further associated questions later.