Export large number of posters from indico

We are going to ask conference participants to upload their posters as images files at indico, which will be downloaded later to be installed at a Gather Town poster session.

Would there be any easy tool to download these contributions automatically and/or tool to get the url address of the contributions en masse? Of course we can download each contribution by hand, but since there will be more than 150 files, an automatic tool will be helpful.

Maybe the “Material Package” feature is what you are looking for?

1 Like

Yes, you are right! Thanks for pointing this indico tool to me.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I’ve run into a strange behavior with “Material Package”. It seems that sometimes it generates huge amounts of files.
I have an event for which the entire size of the contributions directory is 2GB, but attachment-package grows to 100GB.
Is it safe to delete the contents of attachment-package? Is this possibly a DOS with someone requesting the materials over and over?

I would not expect it to grow that large, until the event has that many files. Can you check the contents of the generated package if you can find anything that shouldn’t be there or gets duplicated?

And IIRC the material package is built in a temporary location and afterwards stored temporarily in the general storage backend - deleting it at any time is safe.

It looks like the attachment-package files were automatically deleted overnight. celery had died due to the full disk, but I restarted it. Perhaps it handled the auto cleanup.

When I looked last night, there were hundreds of them, named *-attachment-package.zip. Unzip on any of them gave the “multi-part archive” error.
This happened once about six months ago, and I thought I’d need to expand the disk, but the situation resolved on its own.
I’ll watch and if it happens again, I’ll try to get more information.

Thanks for verifying that I can safely remove the attachment-package files if needed.

ok, so it’s really separate packages. are you on a recent indico version? in the past you could hammer the create button and trigger multiple creations, but for some time now the button gets disabled and you are encouraged to wait for the generation exactly to prevent this

We’re on 3.2.3.
I’ll do an upgrade to the latest and see if that prevents it from happening in the future.

While you need to upgrade nonetheless, you already have this feature. I checked and we actually added this 3 years ago in v2.3.1

A post was split to a new topic: DB error after upgrade

Similar issue has happened twice over the past few months in my environment as well. The local disk fills quickly and we find that several hundred *-material-package.zip files are created in a short period of time. This morning it was +600 x 292MB zip files created over ~6 minutes.

We’re running v3.2.7

We’re looking into options to limit the disk space that can be wasted w/ material packages.