Concern regarding Connecting Indico to a Unique Event Organising System

Hello Everyone :hugs:,

Right now, I’m looking into the idea of connecting Indico with our company’s custom-built event management system. Our system manages a number of event planning tasks, including scheduling, resource allocation, and participant registration.

But we’ve been hearing a lot about Indico’s extensive feature set, and we’re especially curious about its conference management, article review, and abstract management functions.

I have the following specific queries and worries about this integration:

API and Data Sync: In terms of synchronising data among Indico and an extra system, how extensive is the Indico API? :thinking: More specifically, we will have to synchronise session scheduling, paper submissions, and attendee data across the two systems. Exist any noteworthy restrictions or difficulties that we ought to aware of? :thinking:

Flexibility and Customisation: Indico’s ability to be customised is one of the main reasons we are thinking about it. To what extent may Indico be tailored to fit particular organisational workflows? :thinking: Can we develop unique plugins or modules as needed? :thinking:

User Authentication: A centralised user authentication service is used by our present system. Does Indico allow single sign-on (SSO)? :thinking: If yes, which protocols (such OAuth and SAML) does it support? :thinking: I would be grateful for any advice or best practices regarding the use of Indico with SSO implementation.

Performance and Scalability: These are important because our events can occasionally draw hundreds of attendees. To what extent does Indico manage big events? :thinking: Exist any case studies or performance benchmarks that show how well Indico can handle situations with a lot of traffic? :thinking:

I also checked this :point_right: https://www.eventtia.com/en/blog/how-to-organize-a-successful-event-10-top-tips-for-perfect-events-minitab but didn’t get clarification on that.

Thank you :pray: in advance.

The official API is somewhat limited, but you could easily (if you have someone familiar w/ Python development) create a custom Indico plugin that exposes just the APIs you need. For many things we also have internal APIs that could help you, but for the parts you mentioned unfortunately we do not have such APIs yet (since the UI there is still “classic” and not React+API-based)

Yes, custom plugins can be developed and can do almost everything (our friends from the UN add a TON of custom stuff on top of Indico for example which we would never have imagined)

We usually recommend OIDC (which is pretty much OAuth2) since it’s easier to configure, but SAML works as well. See Authentication — Indico 3.3.3 documentation for details. It is also possible to develop custom auth backends in case something non-standard is needed.

I don’t think anything formal exists, but our own instance (indico.cern.ch) has millions of events, and I know that e.g. the UN instance has events with thousands of participants. The only thing that’s not ideal is the performance when viewing e.g. the full list of registered participants in the event’s management area (this slows down the browser a bit), but that’s something we’d like to improve in the future.

I have no idea what that eventtia link is supposed to be about, it sounds completely unrelated to me…