(Community) conference w/out call for abstracts?

Hi,

first time admin of Indico here. We’re testing it for use for a conference which doesn’t need a call for abstracts. Hence my question: Is it possible to run a conference with just a call for papers, where anyone can submit?

Thanks!

Hi,

no, this is currently not possible. Papers can only be uploaded for accepted abstracts.
But don’t be mislead by the naming. The call for abstracts can also be used for ‘Papers’.

Depending on the workflow you intend, I would probably just run a call for abstracts (and rename it to call for papers, that is easily possible) and ask for a paper upload. You can reduce the abstract to just the title field if wanted.

If you need the full paper workflow with content and/or layout reviewing (possibly multiple iterations here), then you would still need to run a minimal call for abstracts as well.

Björn

Thanks, good to know.

I guess we’ll run a mini-CfA then :slightly_smiling_face:.

Hi. Thanks for your useful comments! You have mentioned that it is easy to rename the call for abstracts to call for papers, but could you advise how to do it? I found out how to rename it in the left-side vertical menu, but is it possible to rename it for the submission block?

The only thing you can rename is the menu entry title, but not the title elsewhere.

Thank you for the clarification. It would be great to make it editable in the future (shouldn’t be a big change to the code)

It’s not something that can be done easily because of i18n - builtin tests are properly translated but if you can customize it then it’ll be just that string. It gets weird when someone then uses a different language for Indico but that text is still in the language you used…