Understanding the event structures defined in Indico

Hi,

I’m now trying to use Indico to organize LibreOffice Asia Conference 2020 which will be held in Sep. 8-10 in Taiwan (and if you’re a LibreOffice user/fan/expert welcome to attend!). Also I’m trying to translate Indico into Chinese.

I found that I keep using my own way to try understand what were defined in Indico, so it’s time to clarify the structures of events in Indico.

In my experiences (or say, imagination) a conference has

• Opening/Closing sessions
  • Keynote speeches (for the whole attendees)
  • Several (concurrent) tracks, with each has its own main topic, and contains
    • several sessions, including talks, workshops, and so on. Each session has a title (topic) which is related to the topic of the track and may have one or more speakers.
    • break/tea time

However it seems that it is not defined this way in Indico. I couldn’t find any document explaining this, so I’ve tried for some time. In Indico, to my understanding, it has

• Tracks
    • Programme
    • “Scientific programme”
  • Sessions
  • Session block
  • Contribution
    • subcontribution

I can add new tracks, sessions and contributions but they seem to be independent with each other. When defining a session there is no “speaker” or “author”, which appears in “contributions”. In timetable I can add a session block which can select a session, and add a contribution which has its own type other than sessions. And among all the progress there is nothing to do with “tracks”.

I can only find installation guide and developing related in the documentation. I haven’t found any doc or article explaining the relationships between the above terms.

Would anyone please explain how Indico defines a lecture, meeting or conference? How does Indico define the elements in a conference like the “Tracks” and “Sessions” I said in the beginning?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi,

I’ll try to give you the typical mapping (in indico many thinsg can be done in different ways:

generally: talk, workshop etc are all ‘contributions’

In my experiences (or say, imagination) a conference has

Opening/Closing sessions

=> either a dedicated ’ session’ or a free-standing top-level contribution

Keynote speeches (for the whole attendees)

=> a sessions containing a session block containing the speeches => contains scheduled contributions

Several (concurrent) tracks, with each has its own main topic, and contains
    several sessions, including talks, workshops, and so on. Each session has a title (topic) which is related to the topic of the track and may have one or more speakers.

=> the tracks are mapped onto parallel sessions with session blocks (that is your ‘session’ (containing the talks) and breaks.

break/tea time

In indico the tracks serve primarily as a means to classify incoming abstracts and they can be assosiated with a (default) session for scheduling purposes.

1 Like

It’s much clearer now, thanks.

But when I access the timetable I can add a session block as well as a contribution. In this case I couldn’t see what role the “session” plays here.

So if I don’t need a call for abstracts phase, I don’t need to define track anyway?
The “track” seems to be used equally (?) with “(scientific) programme”. Does “programme” (program?) have other specific meanings?

That’s one of the flexibilities in indico: You can add contributions outside of sessions, which means the contribution takes the roles of both a session and a contribution.
Adding a contribution to a session actually will add a session_block to contain the contribution if none exists.

The ‘Programme’ is compiled from the tracks. In my eyes, this is actually an unfortunate name, it’s more a ‘topics’ or just track list describing the scope of conference.