Python 2.7 update?

During the Indico update (CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810 , Python 2.7.5) we noticed following messages.

$ pip install -U indico
DEPRECATION: Python 2.7 will reach the end of its life on January 1st, 2020. Please upgrade your Python as Python 2.7 won't be maintained after that date. A future version of pip will drop support for Python 2.7.
Requirement already up-to-date: indico in ./.venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages (2.1.7)
:

How can we do so ?

1 Like

Our goal is to have a Python 3 version of Indico available when major distributions drop support for Python 2.7.
This is unlikely to happen immediately when Python 2.7 goes EOL, since the big linux distributions won’t drop something as big as Python 2 while the release using it is still supported.

So you can safely ignore this warning.

2 Likes

@ThiefMaster so can Indico be installed with python3 now ?

No, only Indico 3.0 (later this year) will support (and require) Python 3.

1 Like

The concern is that some serious vulnerability will be found with Python, and the Python developers may opt not to patch it any more. I hope that a Python 3 release can be made ASAP.

Your Linux distribution will keep maintaining python 2.7 until they drop support as well. This won’t happen until the current version of your distro goes EOL, which is more than a year from now. So no need to worry.

In any case, Indico 3.0 (python3-only) is planned for later this year.

Would you have a timeframe for me?

Background: I need to replace an indico 1.2 server. My plan was to setup a new one, using Ubuntu 20 and the latest version of indico, avoiding a merge by simply deactivating the ability to generate new confs on the old one once the new one is up.

Better update from indico 1.2 now. The indico-migrate tool will never support Python 3 or anything newer than Indico 2.0.

You can then update to 2.2 straight away, and once 3.0 comes out in autumn setup a new VM with Python 3 (or upgrade the existing “new” one).